Episode #281: Adrian Helfert, Westwood Group, “We’re Fundamental Investors And Multiasset Investors That Can Look Across The Capital Spectrum”
Guest: Adrian Helfert is the Senior Vice President and Director of Multi-Asset Portfolios where he leads Westwood’s multi-asset strategies group, which includes Westwood’s Income Opportunity and Flexible Income strategies, as well as Westwood’s Global Convertibles and Fixed Income strategies.
Date Recorded: 12/9/2020
To listen to Episode #281 on iTunes, click here
To listen to Episode #281 on Stitcher, click here
To listen to Episode #281 on Pocket Casts, click here
To listen to Episode #281 on Google, click here
To stream Episode #281, click here
Comments or suggestions? Email us [email protected] or call us to leave a voicemail at 323 834 9159
Interested in sponsoring an episode? Email Justin at [email protected]
Summary: In episode 281, we welcome our guest, Adrian Helfert, Director of Multi-Asset Portfolios for Westwood Group, where he leads Westwood’s multi-asset strategies group, which includes Westwood’s Income Opportunity and Flexible Income strategies, as well as Westwood’s Global Convertibles and Fixed Income strategies.
In today’s episode, we’re taking a look at all asset classes. Adrian explains what he seeing in the world, from fixed income to equities and TIPS. We talk about how to earn income in a low interest rate environment through MLP’s and REIT’s, and why TIPS are an attractive insurance policy against high inflation. Then Adrian guest explains his view of the energy sector, gold miners, and the impact of low rates on growth stocks.
As we start to wind down, we talk about Westwood’s unique approach to fees.
Please enjoy this episode with Westwood Group’s Adrian Helfert.
Links from the Episode:
- 0:40 – Intro
- 1:27 – Welcome to our guest, Adrian Helfert
- 8:06 – Westwood’s investment philosophy
- 10:09 – What Adrian sees as the current state of the markets
- 13:37 – How Adrian approaches fixed income investing over the next 5 years
- 18:07 – Thoughts on TIPS
- 20:12 – Dynamics of equities in 2020
- 24:07 – Case study for how he analyzes a stock
- 26:10 – Outlook for REITs and the real estate market overall
- 29:08 – Investing in gold miners
- 32:19 – Sentiment in Texas
- 34:06 – What excites him going into 2021
- 36:48 – The Meb Faber Show – Episode #172: Cam Harvey, Duke University, “This is a Time of Considerable Risk of a Drawdown”
- 38:04 – How Westwood approaches fees
- 40:17 – Most memorable investments
- 43:56 – State of corporate bonds
- 46:48 – Post pandemic bucket list
- 47:31 – Connect with Adrian: westwoodgroup.com
Transcript of Episode 281: